Gallery of past work

Monday 30 March 2020

Ancient and Modern

I'm working on a larger piece of work combining images of modern high rise buildings with suggestions of what existed before. There is explanation in the last post of what is in my mind.



Here, I've used heavily abstracted and very much enlarged croppings from photos of high rise buildings in Sydney, Australia, taken on a trip a few years ago. I've made marks over and around these images with a fine black Uni marker pen using circles and dots.

These marks suggest possible stitching once the main images are printed onto cloth. Alternatively, I may want to incorporate images printed onto photographic paper into the final piece as this better suggests the shiny surface of plate glass.

I know from past experience that this will give me problems if I want to stitch. It is extremely hard work to stitch through good quality photographic paper and stitches have to be quite far apart so that they don't create perforations or merge into one another and create undesirable holes!

Much to think about then.


6 comments:

  1. Ilove the way that you have combined the circles with the photgraphs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lin. Drawing beyond an image - continuing the line, using dots over the edges like this - is a device I’ve played with before. This time I especially wanted to suggest delicacy and give a contrast to the weight and strength of the building croppings. The tiny dots (almost ghostly) seemed to fit the bill well

      Delete
  2. Could you perhaps print them on a high lustre silk charmeuse or silk satin (the real stuff, not polyester labelled as silk satin :) )to simulate the glassiness? As to holes separating the paper, on the few ocassions i've had to work with perforations, i fused a very light piece of haremcloth or batiste/lawn to the back: invisible from the front view of the holes, and strong enough to keep things from moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. edit: test the fusing first--i've done it before and after the stitching and both work for what i had done, but my paper wasn't as "crisp" as yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your suggestions, Arlee, very helpful. The high lustre silk charmeuse or silk satin may have to wait till our lockdown ends!None in my stash and many companies not currently trading. However, the fine lawn bonded to the back of the photos is a distinct possiblility. I will give it a try and post the results. Stay well and safe!

      Delete
  4. Well, I lost my comment by the click of a wrong square, but essentially I was confirming the effect you describe in your reply Lin. It is exactly what I experienced in looking at these, very much love the effect produced by those tiny dots and negative space circles.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.