Gallery of past work

Friday 27 March 2020

Ancient circles

I've been stitching circles.

Circles (usually signifying meeting place, campsite or water hole) and dots (indicating the presence of sacred information not to be shared) are extremely common in the art of Australia's Aborigines as they explore their heritage in a modern context. The simple symbols such as dots and circles, were originally used for sand paintings, to explain things, and in cave paintings or on tools. Often these symbols have different meanings depending on context and local tradition.

I've been exploring and then experimenting to find ways that these symbols can be represented in stitch for work I am developing. I've included here a sample of the pieces. In each case, I've grouped and interpreted them to suit my own purpose.




Below, this whole grouping of circles means star. Again, I've interpreted the image to suit my own ends.


Before the arrival of Europeans, Australia's Aboriginal languages were purely spoken and there was no cultural history of writing. Instead, there was huge reliance on complex oral histories and rich 'dreamtime' recountings to pass on their culture. Now their modern artwork, often on a large scale and using acrylics, uses these symbols to represent their rich spiritual life and their beliefs, their ways of living, their surroundings and the animals and birds that live in their lands.

Kay Tuncun: Kipara (Wild Turdey Dreaming)  1986-87

I find their work fascinating and dramatic - and like nothing else I have ever seen.




2 comments:

  1. Very interesting background information and interesting how you are incorporating circles with stitch, especially the negative image ones. I'd not thought about circles being used to represent things like that star. I agree with you re: the aboriginal art. It has fascinated me for a long time. All those dots or circles . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lives and traditions of First Nation peoples in both Australia and North America have fascinated me ever since I lived in Western Canada in the early 70s. This work is part of my exploration.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.