Gallery of past work

Saturday 4 April 2020

Making marks

I found this card in my stash of images yesterday afternoon when I was searching for intriguing images by other artists to include in my current sketchbook.

It is called The Quilt, which seemed appropriate, and is an original wood engraving by Fiona Hope. Further examples of her work and that by other members of the Society of Wood Engravers are to be found here. I think I bought the card when I was in Scotland and paid several visits to the studios of artists in Aberdeenshire who were exhibiting in North East Open Studios a few years ago - but that may not be the case as I'm not organised enough to annotate my cards when I buy them!


The card has a decidedly textile feel to it and I was fascinated by the range of marks so I set about recreating them with a black Uniball Signo roller ballpen on white paper (thereby inverting the images). I dotted, cross hatched and created thick and thin vertical and diagonal lines and arcs within a hand-drawn grid.


An excellent, idle occupation for a rather chilly afternoon in Coronavirus lockdown. 


6 comments:

  1. What a lovely card and your interpretation works really well and would make great quilting stitches. I hope that you and your family stay safe and well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In between doing work for an exhibition next spring, I'm dipping into my stash of cards and books and following up things that have been in my mind for a long time. This image was one of them. Keep safe and well. x

      Delete
  2. une belle interprétation! bises et santé!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merçi Elfi. Pendant cette période angoissante, ces divertissements sont vitals! Porte-toi bien et bises!!

      Delete
  3. I missed this post !
    Wonderful black & white work ... you are speaking my language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment as always.
      Like you I’m sure, black and white remains the place I go to instinctively. It’s such a powerful statement. But colour has been creeping in more and more recently - though it has to be strong pure colour so it can compete. This was a short reminder of things I find easier!

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.