Gallery of past work

Saturday 29 February 2020

Cropping and Compiling

I'm always on the lookout for new ways to abstract images, especially if they increase the chance of a random result. I'm a great believer in the power of serendipity!

Here, I played again with images from high rise buildings. I cropped out small sections from the A3 size image in the last post and combined them into strips using the Smart Objects feature in Photoshop Elements that I find so useful. After much playing, I generated a large number of these rectangular images and recombined a selection into one A4 document ready for printing.




I used a new-to-me idea involving a sheet of computer address labels (size not specified) recommended in Shelley Rhodes' lovely book, Sketchbook Explorations for mixed-media and textile artists. The details are given hereThe cover gives just a taster of the inspiration and delight that lurks inside! (From reading it, I have a whole raft of other new ideas to try out.)


This time, the idea was to print out the images onto the labels from the PC, peel them off the backing and reassemble them in a different order and see what results. As I had hoped, with little control over where the labels would cut the images and because the labels on the sheets were separated by narrow spacers, there was a satisfying element of the random in the end results which greatly appealed to me. The strips shown above give a sample.

I then decided to reassemble pairs of labels that seemed to work well together or provide contrast with one another, spacing them about half a centimetre apart on a white mount.

This whole process of abstraction is so much one of trial and discard and I save only a small proportion of the early images I generate - but that's what it's all about - edging gently towards a viable larger image that satisfies me and that I can work with.

This time, there are some small selections I especially like - generally the simpler ones - and which I will develop further.


6 comments:

  1. I love what you're doing here! And I love that technique from Shelley's book. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost ready to begin stitching trials - a welcome change from long stretches on my PC.
      Shelly’s book is by far the best I’ve come across on the subject with many other very useful ideas that I have yet to try - and it’s a delight to look at too. Not to be missed!

      Delete
  2. I love that book! Have not tried out the label idea but it seems to have worked well for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments Lin. I haven't bought many art or textile books recently as none has really caught my eye. However, this one, a birthday present from my husband, has given me so much to think about - and at a time when I needed it.

      Delete
  3. Printing over labels - what a brilliant idea! Anything that helps break up our normally regimented way of seeing andn organizing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is full of such things. I can’t recommend it too highly. I will try out more and post as time goes by.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.