Gallery of past work

Monday 17 February 2020

Finding shapes within

Recent detailed observation of photographs of Sydney, Australia, has led me to complete these two pages of  closely-drawn shapes (a pleasure to make and photograph during an extremely wet winter weekend).

In the first example, I worked mainly from the second of the two photographs shown in the post as it seemed to have a particularly detailed and interesting set of shapes and effects made by its internal lights, its occupants and the reflections from surrounding buildings and the ever-changing sky. 


The second drawing turned out to be rather different, though still drawn in black and white. Much less of a grid pattern emerged and there were some different structures to reproduce.


I'm hoping that several small images from each of these studies will prove useful in my planned work. Next, I will make up simple print blocks using the ones that seem to promise the most and then see what happens.


2 comments:

  1. Lots of inspiration to work with there. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what the camera captures that the eye doesn't see at the time! This sort of drawing gives me a second chance.
      I'm going to start cutting some small print blocks this afternoon. Will post anything interesting.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.