Gallery of past work

Tuesday 25 February 2020

Sketchbooking

A double page spread from my current sketchbook / journal working further into the photographs of Sydney's high rise building which was previously posted here


On these two pages, I've been looking again at the shapes and patterns in the curved glass wall of the building, cutting out and mounting alongside one another (but with a small space between) each of the columns of coloured glass that I had noticed, and investigating possible stitch patterns (still on-going). 

I find mounting things separately with a space between each unit in this way is very helpful in seeing pattern and form in things. I helps with ultimate abstraction as it takes me further away from the original image. 

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I begin work in large a Seawhite A3 ring bound sketchbooks like this one for every new body of work I undertake. These books are really journals in which I record  my thinking process, influences or other artists I may come across, my experiments and comments on the results, and also where I think I may take the ideas next. 

I find recording my thoughts very helpful in working out what is going on, any problems I notice and where I might go next. I also write down such details aabout what was used - whether a photo from my archive, a particular paper, thread or fabric, or any other point I think I may want to revisit in the future - but may forget. 


4 comments:

  1. You must know about Shelley Rhodes and her sketchbooking, yes? She also uses Seawhite. I've basically been following her lead, altho I'm using the books as ends in themselves. I've never been able to use them as you, Shelley and countless other artists do. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know about Shelley Rhodes and sketchbooking - indeed I have her wonderful book, jam-packed with inspiring ideas! I only wish I had her freedom of thought and her lovely mark-making skills. I practice daily in the hope ...!

      Your use of sketchbooks as ends in themselves is appealing. Just occasionally I've made books perhaps from one sheet of paper that have stood alone and eventually been exhibited. In a way though, I think the use of my big journals comes half-way between the two approaches. They underpin all my resolved pieces but I take great care over the layout and presentation of each page and then often show them alongside my work as people seem interested to see what I get up to on the way to finished pieces.

      There's no doubt though that whatever form my books take they give me enormous pleasure and are central to everything I do.

      Delete
  2. I love seeing other peoples sketchbooks - thank you for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. I always look when I’m given the chance!

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.