Gallery of past work

Wednesday 30 January 2019

The Railways and Swindon's History

As I've explained previously, my current work focus is a historical one – and a new departure for me. Swindon is one of my nearest good sized towns and has a proud railway history. The forthcoming exhibition by GWE is giving me much to explore and to think about. I'm posting here some background and a few general thoughts on the town's railway history together with a small selection of photos that have taken my eye so far. For now, I’m exploring this aspect of the town’s history for my work and especially the lives of the families working in the industry.

The railway works opened in the 1840s when the Great Western Railway Company’s broad gauge railway line reached Swindon. As the works grew in importance in Swindon, there were dramatic changes and these can be seen in the architecture all over the old part of the town.

Following all the industrial growth, there was great pressure to provide housing for the employees. The solution driven by Isambard Kingdom Brunel was to build a model village using local limestone in what is now known as Railway Village. My early points for investigation have been the shapes in a street in the Village. The first photograph here shows the tipical features and the cramped layout of these houses as does the photo below. In this, backs of a row of similar small artisan houses can be seen. These were known as 'The Backsies' because the streets were built in rows back to back.

'The Backsies' of Swindon

The railway company was controlled in its plans by economics and the back to back terraces of these small houses which were thought to be adequate for skilled engineering workers resulted. Like so many industrial towns in Britain, there was much overcrowding and poverty in the Swindon of the 1800s. Each house had a small back yard which contained little more than the outside privvy and was perhaps too small even to accommodate a good sized family wash. Perhaps that explains the washing hanging out in the front of the houses in photographs.


One of the most important buildings of the era was The Mechanics’ Institute completed in 1855 and which was built to provide training and education for the railway workers. This building is still to be found in the city (currently not I believe in good condition). This has also figured in one of my initial designs.

I'm also intrigued by this photo of men (almost entirely) walking home for lunch from the GWR (Great Western Railway) works. The file of men in suits and the very impressive building on the right would seem to offer some possibilities for design.


My next step is to go to Swindon with my sketchbook and my camera to photograph Railway Village (such as is left standing following post war redevelopment) and The Mechanics' Institute - and perhaps to find that impressive building in the last photo above. It will be most interesting see the expected dramatic change. 


6 comments:

  1. I am following your new theme with great interest. I loved the washing lines in the front gardens. Well I do love washing lines - I would lead a campaign to bring them back - rights for everyone to have some space on a line nearby. Much more eco-friendly and a thing of beauty. Really fascinating to see your ideas developing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Louise. I'm (to my surprise) really enjoying this new theme. Before I started, I wasn't sure quite what there would be in it for me, although I was really pleased to be involved in the project with the museum. Often, I find being challenged out of my comfort zone brings the greatest rewards!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love this kind of research and am a little envious of your planned trip to actually see what is left of this area, sketchbook and camera at the ready! I'm personally getting sidetracked from my textile work by some delving into my father's family line which primarily settled in Iowa and South Dakota - the American midwest - too far away at the moment for a visit. You've made me wonder if any of my own research might become fodder for a textile piece . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it would. There is so much to be explored in terms of family memory and the paths trodden by our ancestors. It would be an emotional ride I suspect. I will be interested to see what results!
      I will confess that I have yet to make that trip with camera and sketchbook in hand. The photos from the museum and my other researches have produce much to be going on with. However, I have one piece lurking in the back of my mind that will need a visit I'm sure. I will post anything of interest if it happens.

      Delete
  3. Forgot to mention, I'm also being lured by an urban sketcher who is doing research into his Irish family who mostly worked in the textile mills of New England. As he finds evidence of family living at a certain address or working in a specific factory, he is traveling to the site to see if it is still standing and then sketching it. The stories he relates illustrated by these sketches is fascinating and is also spurring me on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds a lovely idea. From time to time, my husband explores his family roots in eastern Scotland and we have often sought out with interest old family homes and the final resting places of his ancestors.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.