Gallery of past work

Friday 11 January 2019

Early Thoughts

I began serious play yesterday with the first image of a Swindon street in the early 1900s that I showed in my last post. Initially, I've gone for exploiting features within the image and the patterns they make, in this case, chimneys and a line of washing.

A first thought, where I threw everything at the idea! Here I picked out patterns and shapes from the colourised image and superimposed one on the other.


Then, a couple of images with less on show and in two different colourways and the second one flipped horizontally . It always surprises me what a differenct that makes.



A different format


And, finally for now - just chimneys, though more work is needed on colour and I think they more resemble a collection of bottles!


Next to be investigated on its own is that row of washing in the original photograph.


5 comments:

  1. So interesting! Possibly the last photo looks like a collection of bottles because there are no other "house components" eg windows, to set the context?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you again, Margaret. I'm sure you're right about the lack of windows etc in the last image. I added that small dark brown section of a building towards the bottom which seems to help that part to 'read' better - and also gives a much-needed colour change. More thoughts to play with ...

      Delete
  2. Personal favorite, the next to last one. And I don't see bottles at all in that one, more so in the last one once you pointed it out. Now that I look at it again, I'm reminded of one of Escher's impossible buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sheila. I agree with your thoughts and plan to develop this image next, though it will need a little further work, perhaps to simplify a little before I stitch.

      Delete
    2. And yes, I’ve just looked again at the last image - definitely an impossible building!

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.