Gallery of past work

Sunday 25 February 2018

Bullfinch

We found this beautiful male Bullfinch lying on the lawn in our garden this morning. A victim of the cold after the long winter that had reduced his reserves or of some other catastrophe, he seemed to have died lying on his back holding a small twig or perhaps he had fallen from the tree above.




This lovely bird, together with another male and two females, has been visiting our garden regularly since Christmas to feed on the sunflower hearts my husband puts out each morning. We felt we couldn't leave him where he lay and picked him up so he didn't get mauled in passing by our cat. He was extraordinarily soft to the touch and seen close up that rich salmon pink breast contrasting with his dense, coal-black head and the tell-tale bright white rump were precise and vivid.

We have always counted ourselves very lucky to see him and his ilk at all because the British Trust for Ornithology website says that a recent survey recorded Bullfinches (scientific name Pyrrhula pyrrhula) visiting in only 10% of British gardens. But we have what they describe as a rural garden connected to a small woodland which no doubt explains why he and his little flock have been visiting us so often.

The male is one of my favourite garden birds - perhaps it's his colour that attracts me. I suspect it is. Whatever the reason, I couldn't resist photographing him. We have so enjoyed his visits and hope that we will long continue to see others.



 


PS Since I no longer seem able to update my sidebar in Layout on Blogger to include the poster of this exhibition, I will be including it as a footnote in my posts till the exhibition is over. I can only apologise for this and the poster's large size. Images in a post don't seem to go any smaller!




2 comments:

  1. So sorry for the loss of your beloved avian friend :( xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie. We will miss him. We're just hoping he didn't have the virus trichomoniasis that has been killing green finches particularly in Britain. We saw a male Bullfinch on the lawn yesterday (unusual for Bullfinches), looking inactive and with his plumage fluffed up. However, the one we found didn't seem to have the other symptoms described on the RSPB website and the disease is more common in the summer.
      Careful cleaning of bird feeders will need to take place!

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.