Gallery of past work

Friday 2 April 2021

Tracings

I've been aware for some time that the range of marks in my work often lacks variety. This, I think, comes from my almost exclusive use of images created from photographs and printed almost entirely using digital media to generate my work. Recently, being unable to go out and seek high rise buildings 'in the flesh' owing to lockdown, I've been experimenting with drawing on tracing paper direct from photographs. I selected parts of each image and ignored others in an attempt to vary things. 

These I drew in several ways including without looking at the result as I worked ('blind drawing'), tracing selectively and freehand directly off photos, and tracing using a ruler. I also varied a little the medium I used to HB and 2B pencils, graphite and fineliner pens. 


I then layered the drawings, applied layer by cut in Photoshop Elements and rephotographed and reprinted the results in different light conditions ...




... finally dropping in a small amount of colour.


There is much to look at futher. I especially liked the contrast in marks between the traced areas and the ruler-drawn building (pictured centre at the start of this post). The dark tracing paper and the look-throughs to spaces and images underneath also intrigue me.



4 comments:

  1. Interesting compositions - I particularly like the portrait version. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lin. I’ve enjoyed playing with this idea and may develop it further. Time will tell.

      Delete
  2. I love the way you think and 'see' !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharron. Much of what you see here is down to serendipity. When I cut out areas from the layered images, I never know quite what will result. I'm often amazed by what happens!

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.