Gallery of past work

Friday 26 March 2021

Stitch details

Stitch details from an (A3) size piece which is currently work in progress and which develops thoughts on reflections seen in high rise buildings ...


The image was printed onto a fine cotton groud using my Epson P600 printer with its archival inks. It was generated from a photograph in Photoshop Elements, folowing, as usual, much manipulating - repeated layering, cutting, resizing, discarding and repositioning - and many changes in colour and tone. 

The threads being used in the stitching are single-colour DMC stranded floss in a restricted colour palette to echo rather than control the colours in the image and to blurr the whole as in a reflection. Stright, precise, vertical running stitch is being used throughout to mimic the precision of the building's structure. 

 

7 comments:

  1. Reminds me a little of ikat fabrics. Will be interesting to see the whole piece. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Lin. The thought had occurred to me too, especially the pinkish red area top right!

      Delete
  2. I always love what your hand stitching adds to your experimental work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila. Your comment is especially encouraging as I often feel incorporating stitch effectively is the trickiest part of my work. The abstract images I generate are often strong in their own right so I have to do some thinking and trying out before I start each time so the two meld together.

      Delete
    2. Well, I can assure you that in this case, the two do indeed meld together. AND enhance each other. French knots, which you've used a lot, would definitely NOT have worked here!

      Delete
    3. Thank you Sheila - and you’re so right, French knots would not have done the job at all. The stitching had to be linear and exact this time to reflect (pun intended!) the building structure and the shapes sunlight generates within the windows. Only drawback is that it takes AGES. It’s definitely slow stitch!

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.