Gallery of past work

Wednesday 28 April 2021

Containers

On Monday, I took part in an online textile course on Zoom with Debbie Lyddon. Sculptural Pockets was the title for the day and the challenge was to make a 3D container from stiffened cloth to hold a small object of personal value and to make reference to its form in our design.

In my case the object chosen was this bird - a small yellow-beaked hornbill. Though it's not very obvious from this photo, he leans at an intriguing angle and I was attracted by his bright yellow bill and his black and white colouring, all of which featured in my thoughts as I worked.

In advance, we were asked to pre-stiffen our chosen cloth (in my case cotton calico) with gesso or emulsion. The day then involved much testing and twisting and folding of paper and cloth to evolve a pleasing shape that could hold our object - and for me, could also provide a hiding place for it. The pocket was made to lean as my bird leans and I chose also to echo his body shape with that pointed beak in the final outcome. 

However, I confess to having felt some disappointment with myself at the end. When held upright to be a container in which my bird could sit, my pocket looks most unfortunately like a large ice cream cone (especially when photographed) ... but that's one day courses for you! I work slowly and I always rush to bring things to some sort of close, hoping to evolve something that pleases me - pointless I know as such days are never going to lead to works of art and fully resolved outcomes are not what they are about. 


Despite this, it was a lovely day and it was led most adeptly by Debbie. She offered generous insights into her own methods and practice which informed and developed her explanations for us in a most satisfactory way.  

I have been wanting to develop my options with 3D textiles for sometime and this opportunity certainly offered the best possible option given the restrictions of Covid 19 - and all without having to make a long journey to reach Debbie's studio. I'm sure I'll take much from the techniques we developed to use in the future. 


*A little note about my bird - he was made in a township in Cape Town, South Africa, from what appears to be papier maché and recycled wire. Similar oblects made of simple reclaimed materials are to be found on street stalls all over Southern Africa. He was bought on a wonderful holiday with my husband and friends twelve years ago. It was a most pleasurable time and holds happy memories for us both and I very much enjoyed focusing on him for a day.


2 comments:

  1. I was thinking cornucopia when I saw your sculpture. Good to learn a new skill and I am sure it has given you plenty of ideas. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see your point about the shape - a very satisfying one but complex and maybe hard to realise with stiffened fabric. But I might just give it a try ...
      The technique itself has certainly given me lots to think about.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.