Gallery of past work

Wednesday 26 May 2021

Walking the Line

Here, taking my mind, a pencil, a pen, ink, paint, paper, scissors - and much else besides including a ruler - for a walk in a new concertina sketchbook. 

I'll be responding intuitively to whatever last appeared on the page and adding next what seems appropriate. I may follow on with an idea, a colour, an image or a shape - or I may jump to something completely new and contasting. 

General early views ...


And details ...

Thus far, there seems to be much reference to work already completed, and especially to geometrical shapes (circles, squares and rectangles) and then, by contrast, there are organic shapes that meander haphazardly across the page (more of those another day). 

Marrying up the two and working across from one page to another seems to be the biggest and most interesting part of this whole excercise. 

I've no idea where this will lead. I'm hoping it will take me to new places and encourage me to free up my work and use new techniques. 



4 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous blue, enough to be its own draw to work with this. I'm with you about feeling that some of these mark making exercises feel like a rehashing of what I already do/have done but I keep being teased into doing them with that hope that there will be a breakthrough surprise or as you say, a freeing up of my work. I'll find this interesting to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to use media and techniques I don't usually use or haven't used for some time - and certainly haven't used together. So far there is much that is familar but I hope that, as time goes by, new thoughts will emerge!

      Delete
  2. This looks like a fun excercise - I love that gorgeous blue! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping there will be many, many fun exercises. This hard-backed sketchbook opens out to an impressive 15 ft long - and it's double-sided. LOTS of scope for experiment!

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.