Gallery of past work

Tuesday 19 December 2017

Gift giving

I've been finishing this piece for a very good friend whom I've known since I was six.


At the time I took this photo in September, I was very attracted by the grouping of the trees and their overall appearance as a group - not symmetrical but with a certain internal balance. Standing with camera in hand, I could see the potential for stitch. Conversion to black and white, some adjustment of levels to give variety and eliminate unwanted background detail and a few tweeks to the image itself and I was good to go.

I stitched in Anchor crochet 12 perlé, a fine thread with a slight glimmer that I like as it allows the delicacy of stitching needed for a small piece like this, measuring 11 cm square. I responded intuitively to the photograph, drawing the super-imposed tree shapes in stitch.

This piece is part of a small series of similar interpretations of the same image, some with black and white inverted and in different strong colours. They all originate from this photograph, taken in hot afternoon sunshine on Quadra Island BC, almost 5,000 miles from home.


The power of monochrome and the flexibility of stitch never cease to amaze me!


8 comments:

  1. Very interesting and it turned out well. Very striking to add the red tree form in embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila. I have this in a few other incarnations on the go, and a couple of other things to mull over in the dark days of winter ... just how I like it!

      Delete
  2. Quadra Island! My brother moved to Quadra Island a few years ago - near Heriot Bay.

    The red tree is splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very many thanks for commenting. Quadra Island was a delight - what a coincidence. We stayed near Heriot Bay and ate each night at the Heriot Bay Inn. What a delightful, peaceful spot it was on a warm summer's evening - and how lucky your brother is to live there.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.