Gallery of past work

Wednesday 16 October 2013

Doodling in Stitch

I doodle in stitch - but never with a pencil. I have no idea why.

It's where I go when there is not a lot else to do or when down time is needed. It's where I can stitch in repose without explanation or justifying to myself the time spent. I just work the needle as the spirit moves me, making marks and shapes in response to the cloth - and such therapy it is.



Here is the latest little morsel - a response on a simple little piece of monoprinted cloth that I blogged about in September. In reality, the stitching is more visible and gives much more surface texture - but it seems unwilling to let me photograph it properly.


To me, it suggests perhaps a Cotswold stone wall, warm in the sun, with its nooks and crannies and secrets ... but then really it matters not at all what it is. Being something is not its purpose.


14 comments:

  1. As our weather gets cooler and cooler I like the idea of a 'warm wall'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A warm wall - how welcome that would be in the grey light of a winter day. I will look at this little piece and think of that thought.

      Delete
  2. I like this, must do more of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very soothing in a busy life - but what I really like is the lack of demands it places on me to deliver anything at all if that's the way it works out.

      Delete
  3. Yet more proof that stitching is a therapy all of its own - which also happens to deliver creative gems! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed! The peaceful repetition of stitches has a meditative quality about it that I find very calming.

      Delete
  4. I see a 'wall' of thoughts, fleeting but sweet. A wall of childhood memories, maybe. Bubble gum mornings and strawberry desserts, shrills of delight and stains of paint on a white shirt. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and what a lovely image that is - a wall of thoughts and memories.

      Delete
  5. The power of simple running stitch never ceases to amaze me. It always looks like drawing rather than a decorative stitch. Just looking at this piece warms me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of my favourite stitches - so simple and adaptable.

      Delete
  6. Indeed, the very best therapy. And then to have this little gem at the end of it all, well, it just sets the world a-right, doesn't it??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely image - stitch setting the world a-right!

      Delete
  7. It has a beautiful simplicity. I'm with you on doodling, I can't do it with pencil or pen as I just seem to tighten up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tighten up too and can't seem to see the point of it in the same was as I do in stitch.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.