Gallery of past work

Thursday 24 October 2013

Contours, colour and wandering holes

I've been busy trying out another landscape experiment in paper with contours, colour and holes wandering across the page.



This time, I've cut the paper into three strips which could be mounted together to form one piece - or become three separate pieces side-by-side.

It's extraordinary how much busier it looks photographed and on screen. But then it is about twice the size in reality. I must look again critically and at a distance to see whether that's how I want it or not.

I'm still working in paper - though I'm not sure why. I seem strangely reluctant to translate all this into fabric. Maybe it's trying to tell me something. Things so often do if I give them time.


8 comments:

  1. These are beautiful -- great colors, great stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie.
      The apparent stitch lines are actually marks made in pen which I'd planned to translate into stitch on fabric ... but then of course the wandering holes won't work ... a dilemma!

      Delete
  2. Love these, both the colours and the contours are fantastic. Feel as though I could get lost in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now to paint the fabric! Although I have doubts how to proceed, I need to try the panels with fabric - maybe textured and layered - and stitch and see what happens.

      Delete
  3. Always a good thing to let your imagination have some time to play and experiment - sometimes I think that more comes through our hands than our heads. Love to see where this takes you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about more coming into work through our hands than our heads ... a lovely way of putting it. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely starting point for some work. Are you familiar with Stephanie Redfern, she uses paper in her work a lot. Perhaps this will be your forte!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very many thanks for your comment. No, I'm not aware of Stephanie's work but I will investigate. I follow Alice Fox and various art book artists with great interest and love their work ... so maybe you are right .. now there's a thought!

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.