Gallery of past work

Sunday 18 October 2020

The Brunel Broderers' exhibition in The Arts Centre at the Meeting House in Ilminster in Somerset, is now open to view.


As keen-eyed observers will notice, much of the work I am showing with the group this time has again been developed following a visit to the Chateau at Chenonceau in the Loire region of France in July 2019. 

There are several new pieces. I have developed further the layering and the opacity of the images to give depth. I have layered several repeating images each with different levels of opacity and have explored the shapes (both positive and negative) generated by the overlapping of these images. 


I have also extended my thoughts to give a fresh look at the use of colour to suggest further the complex history of Catherine de Medici's life - of political machinations and dark deeds and perhaps blood spilt. 


In all this work, it is a strange fact that this historic theme of evil deeds contrasts strongly in my memory with the formal beauty and apparent peace of the gardens when I saw them. I have hoped to suggest this conflict in my work. 

Throughout, I have developed my response through Adobe Photoshop Elements from the photographs I took during my visit. The imagery which resulted was discussed at length (here and here). 

A snapshot of each of the members of the group is to be found on the Brunel Broderers' blog. Each artist is featured in a separate post with brief details of their work. 

Covid restrictions notwithstanding, the exhibition runs in the gallery until Saturday 31 October 2020. If you are able to come, you will find a warm welcome in the gallery and in the café which is open during the centre's opening hours. 

In view of current restrictions, it would be wise to consult the Art Centre's website before visiting to check the opening times of the gallery.


4 comments:

  1. So impressed with these, especially the move into a different color palette which makes a rather bold statement. Yes, I see that internal conflict you speak of as my eye moves from the green one to the red ones. So good that the exhibit is able to go on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila - thank you very much for your kind comments.

    There are six of the red colour palette pieces and I have yet to see how they hang all together in a row. The idea was to replicate the arrangement of the rose bushes as I saw them in the long border plantings at Chenonceau. I shall be going down to the gallery (some distance from where I live) at the end of the week. It will be very interesting to see how they look and whether my hoped-for reference works!

    We are just delighted that the exhibition was able to go ahead and are crossing fingers that tight Covid restrictions aren't reimposed before our time at the gallery is over on 31st October.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a shame that I cannot visit. We are usually based in Taunton when we vist UK so Ilminster is on our doorstep. I have had a look at the blog and there are some lovely pieces of work. I do love how you are working on this theme too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Lin. I've only just found your comment. The two most recent lockdowns seemed to have me running for cover and I didn't visit my blog as often as I should.
      It would have been very good to meet you had we both been able to get to the exhibition. I visited once to meet up with a friend and then at the end to collect everyone's work. It was a good time for us - and we were lucky it happened at all. The group who followed us in two days later got only a couple of days before the November lockdown closed everything down again ... and now we're hoping for the same luck for our next exhibition in September.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.