Gallery of past work

Monday 10 October 2016

Glimpsing work

Here is a glimpse, tantalising or otherwise, of some of the work I'll be entering into our November exhibition, the poster for which I showed in my last post.

These mainly black and white pieces have the injection this time of some red to give strong contrast and some purple or claret for more subtle variety. It is all a response to our visit to Australia last autumn.





In these pieces, snippets of which you see here, I've explored the relationship between the almost overwhelming impact of the modern development in the cities of Australia and the extraordinarily light touch of the traditional Aboriginal clans who have roamed and lived within these lands for around 50,000 years leaving almost no archaeology or obvious impact at all.

If you are a regular follower of this blog, you will have seen much similar before. It's good to feel I've now pretty much resolved these ideas and completed the work.

It's been a fascinating journey. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh my, these are stunning pieces. Hard to pick a favourite, but then, there's no need to is there? I can like them all!! (Maybe the third one, but the second one as well.......nope, all of them!) I hope you'll post some pics from the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very many thanks, Marny. I will indeed post some picks from the show once it's up - both some of my own to show the pieces in their entirety (not just snippets as here) and also some of the other work. We had our usual 'showing' session today when members deliver their work and we spread everything out for all to look at. It's always interesting to see what turns up and it gives those of us who hang a chance to form a plan!

      Delete
  2. It's good to see how the inspirations have come together in your own voice. They are simply arresting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely, encouraging comment, Olga! Thank you very much. I really do feel this time that I have found a way of expressing myself and my ideas that is my own - my voice I guess - so it's great to get your reaction. Not everything has truly worked but I have more thoughts for the future

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. D'accord! J'ai trouvé des symboles partout en Australie. Toujours les contrastes entre l'histoire ancienne et la vie ultra-moderne ... Fascinant!

      Delete
  4. Looks interesting, love the circle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. A real mixture this time - weaving, stitching on images on cloth and extended drawing and stitching on my photos - but then it's been a long time since the last opportunity to exhibit so I've had lots of chance to experiment.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.