Gallery of past work

Sunday 17 November 2013

Playing with cards for Christmas

I've posted before about making my own Christmas cards. I block print, stitch, transfer dye, paint and manipulate fabric, monoprint or paper fold as takes my fancy. I've been doing these little cards for 15 years or so now and I know our friends and relations appreciate receiving them (or those who don't say nothing ...).


I must admit though, it gets harder and harder every year to think of something new. Still, I enjoy the playing and thinking but many of my thoughts are just not practical for producing over 100 in a couple of weeks.


Everything has to be done in a production line, completely by hand and card by card - without a press for printing or any other aids and this really cramps my style. Any tips or hints on short cuts would be gratefully received!



In the last few days, I've been trying out a few ideas and some of these are posted here. I've tried them in various layouts, some more successful than others ...


First of all, I played with some small commercial print blocks in my stash that suggest perhaps holly and mistletoe.


While I try things out, I've printed with some of the Ranger Distress Ink pads to give colour. These are produced by Tim Holtz in the USA in a range of 36 good muted colours. They seem mostly to be available in crafting shops here in the UK and give very quick, un-messy results.


Then I've experimented with printing up my own repeating papers for paper folding. Too complicated, these more ornate and fanciful ideas often end up as individual cards to be given to special people only.














These last two are indeed too time-consuming and I think there is still quite a way to go on the overall design - though I rather like the simplicity of them all.

Next I'll cut one of two print blocks of my own and try printing them on painted grounds, lightly washed with colour. I'll also try out some other, more textured papers.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely ideas for the cards. I van see how they would be time consuming. Hope you manage to find a quicker method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggi. you're right about the time involved so I've been thinking different thoughts today... though I'm still not convinced. I always do this - lots of trials and then suddenly ideas click - fingers crossed.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.