Gallery of past work

Saturday 18 October 2014

White ... and black

As those who visit my blog regularly will know, white is currently a recurring theme for me - along with black. I find it hard to consider the one without the other. They are the ultimate opposites.

White often seems to be linked to beginnings - marking a new period of life perhaps, or the clean white slate ready and waiting for images or words. So, for this post today I have photos of white newness, of the start of things - but often photographed with black for contrast.

First of all, close to home, there is the much-enjoyed black and white 'cow' mug bought for our young grandchildren when they visit us - the next generation - definitely a sign of a beginning.


Then, in my effort to upgrade myself digitally (definitely a new beginning), I've bought an ipad air - white, of course - and in the most beautiful white box, lovely to the touch. Apple sure have design and marketing licked - very satisfying. 

And onto the ipad, I've loaded a free drawing app called Paper, recommended by a friend, though the first trial suggests that there may be better drawing apps.

Someone else mentioned Brushes 3 and on searching for information, I saw a link to an article discussing the 22 (yes 22) best ipad apps for drawing and painting. There are so many new things to explore ... though I don't think I'll bother investigating all 22 drawing apps ...


I've posted before photos of the black shadow patterns cast on the deck of a graceful white pedestrian bridge over the Delaware River. Today, I have the whole length of the bridge to show. As well as the shadows I'm very taken by the perspective angles on those cables, criss-crossing the image. The patterns in these images could mark a new direction in work for me. 


On a shelf, I have a small pile of Pink Pig sketch books ordered earlier in the summer in an on-line sale and full of fresh white or near-white pages, but with covers in lovely muted colours.


All sorts of new possibilities here - some exploration of those bridge shadows, no doubt - lots of plans for the future and much work to be done.


10 comments:

  1. Love your white=new beginnings theme! Assume that bridge is in the USA? My husband and I are "bridge walkers" so would love to know more about that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie - Called the Lumberville-Raven Rock bridge, it's over the Delaware River in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. It is so pretty and has the delightful old Black Bass Inn right next to it. We were told by our friends that it was excellent for lunch (or any meal), though we unfortunately had no time to stop. If you don't know it, this is a beautiful area with an amazing number of bridges over the Delaware. If you visit, you might also like to see some of the covered bridges which are a speciality of Bucks County. Happy walking!

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos! Fall is always a great time for new beginnings. Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie. I'm hoping autumn and then winter are going to bring me more time to spend on all this. I have so many things I want to learn and develop.

      Delete
  3. Here's to fresh beginnings, striking shadows & angles...and things like cow mugs, which your grandchildren will no doubt forever remember with fondness! Thanks for sharing the lovely photos, and enjoy your new directions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ,Lisa. Good to hear from you.
      I can't wait to get stared on exploring these lines, but as is so often the way, I have things to finish first.

      Delete
  4. Big smile about that cow mug ... precious memories! I'm a daily journal keeper so the white page is yes, a welcome to new beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah the daily journal - how I wish I had the discipline. Just think how many precious memories I could have recoded on those blank pages!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of exciting new possibilities for those white pages, and a whole world of apps for your new toy... happy drawing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibilities indeed ... Now I just need to find the time and the space to think ...

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.