Gallery of past work

Sunday 2 April 2017

Hedges Book

Yesterday, I finally completed the version of star accordion artists' book that I first posted about last month.





Before adding covers, a closure and a title, I photographed the piece from a variety of angles. The more sculptural of these no longer worked after the addition of the covers with their extra weight but I've chosen one to show here, mostly because of the shadows it cast in sunlight. 


This has been an excellent learning experience, although I still have some issues to resolve for future books of this kind - mostly to do with the strength of spine where I feel the structure is very fragile. 

However, for the moment, I have plans for something rather different ...


10 comments:

  1. Looks great, very professional

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Margaret! The structure you chose is perfect for the images. I love the gorgeous, substantial spine when it's closed (as much as the sculptural effect when the book is open)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. It was great fun to do. I was really surprised by the patterned effect (completely unplanned I confess) of that fat fore-edge when the book is closed. I think perhaps I've set the bar rather high for myself with this first real foray into making books! Not sure where I'll go next ... though I'm thinking hard ...

      Delete
  3. Interesting project and outcome. These artist book formats take so much thinking and trying out to hit on success. You've made a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila. You are right that there is lots to think about and I'm now working hard at the next one - a little different perhaps.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.