Gallery of past work

Monday 20 June 2016

Pine trees manipulated

Today, in my efforts to restart work, I played with the drawings shown in my last post. I printed out them out and coloured in small areas. I then photographed them again and played with them in Photoshop, a default medium for me when I'm not sure where to go. These images resulted.

Cropped, colour inverted, then changed and enhanced and possible colours explored ...



Image flipped horizontally, cropped further and a different colour palette used ...


Then irresistibly, another cropping turned into black and white with contrast enhanced (maybe some stitch possibilities?) ...


And all from this image ...



Ah, the joys of Photoshop and play!

4 comments:

  1. I find it fascinating that with all the interesting manipulation the trees remain trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it's because I liked the shapes and so lacked the courage to crop really close so that the 'treeness' disappeared? Or, perhaps it's to do with the quality of the line I generated in the original drawing ... very definitely organic and emphasising the shapes of the tree growth ?

      Generally when I do this sort of abstraction it is quite hard at the end to see where the images originated. It will be interesting to try again and see what happens.

      Delete
  2. Impressive play! I honestly couldn't think where you could go with those black & white "sketches" but you have gone many ways. Not sure why but the last variation may appeal the most. But I also like the first darker versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Sheila. I've done this sort of abstraction many times before so I had the techniques in mind as I drew ... even if only subconsciously. It seems to free me when all else fails!

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.